David Lai – whose origin is from Malaysia – is a young self-taught illusionist and a well-known mentalist. At present, he is the director of the “Abracadabra 2″ – the illusion show, in addition to many of his previous shows he helped directed around the world. Sought by many people, he is also listed on GOOGLE ‘s personalities… in which Tun. Dr.Mahathir Muhammad (Malaysia’s 4th Prime Minister) said “ How old is he? I’m very impressed!”
“I’m a Mentalist, but it’s so hard explaining to people what a Mentalist is, so I’ll just stick to being called a Magician.” The source: http://www.mindofdavid.com/about.
- EVENTmania: What got you into Magic?
- Answer: Puberty actually… I was looking for an indifferent activity to get in when I was about 12 years old and magic found its way into my repertoire as nobody in class could perform magic yet.
- EVENTmania: Did you have a mentor as you were learning the illusion, or were you self-taught?
- Answer: I was purely self-taught as having a teacher was very uncommon when started off in magic. Magic classes itself in Asia was rare during my era.
- EVENTmania: What is your favorite genre of Illusion? Cards? Coins? Others?
- Answer: I only do mentalism, which literally translates into MIND MAGIC or magic with the mind. In lay people terms, I read their minds, bend their forks or spoons and move objects without touching them.
- EVENTmania: What do you consider the one defining moment in your life that made you realize inspire you to learn Illusions and become an Illusionist?
- Answer: That’s easy. It was when I took up engineering. I’m a petroleum engineer by academic qualification. However, after taking up engineering, I knew that I hated it, and branched into magic full time right after completing my degree.
- EVENTmania: What do you consider to be the proudest moment of your career?
- Answer: It was when I directed my very first fully fledged illusion show when I was 21. At that moment, I was still completing my engineering degree so I was very proud in the sense that I managed to juggle two very different areas of my life.
- EVENTmania: Where do you feel the art of Illusion is heading in the near future?
- Answer: The art of illusion is heading into a very modern and fast paced era where illusions will be performed in fast paced and to the beat of modern music. I see a lot of performers going into that direction these days and that’s one of the few ways to keep a modern audience up to their feet.
- EVENTmania: If you were asked to perform one and only one illusion act what would it be and why?
- Answer: The Suspended Animation, because that is so-called, world’s fastest illusion to date. Suspended Animation will be premiering in Kuwait for this year’s Kuwait’s Annual Illusion Show!
- EVENTmania: Thank You for your time.
- Answer: You are very welcome!